Rocks Again...

A GEODE

You know that saying that "Insanity is doing the same thing but expecting different results"? I do that a lot in my life. It's good in some situations and not in others. Sometimes perseverance does have a reward (the Bible teaches this) and sometimes it's beating a dead horse. It's not always easy to tell which it is, though. For instance, parenting has a lot of insanity in it - yet we should keep doing it ;-)

I continue to eat popcorn even though it always makes my stomach hurt. Yet I keep eating it, expecting that this time it won't. Duh. The popcorn is a metaphor for me. I'm evaluating which things I should persevere in that have reachable goals and which things are like eating popcorn, spiritually speaking.

And I've been thinking a lot about Charlie Brown on Halloween night out trick-or-treating. I've watched that video way more times than normal people. :-) Well, anyway, Charlie Brown keeps going up to houses, calling out "Trick or Treat" with the rest of the crowd, only to receive rocks.

"Rocks again..." says Charlie, with resignation.

Because I've watched this movie so many times, now when I watch I want to shout out,

"Charlie Brown!
Ditch the trick-or-treating!
It's not working for you, Charles.
Do something different.
Go to the Pumpkin Patch with Linus.
Carve a jack-o-lantern.
Why, oh why, oh why, Charlie Brown,
are you still trick-or-treating?"

The reality is, we gather our own rocks. But we don't have to.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dix,
I love your writing style and your presentation of a subject.

If you are thinking about giving up on art or anything to do with it....DON'T Get that paintbrush out and paint through it! I think it is time for an inspirational package.....hmmmm...I am working on it.

Hugs,
Tink

The Feathered Nest said...

Such a wonderful and true message, Dixie ~ we should all take this to heart and be more receptive to learning from our experiences, but sometimes it takes a while for us to learn what we must, right?...Thank you so much for buying my artwork! xxoo, Dawn

BLUEYEDUCKstudios said...

My brain is reeling with application!

THANK-YOU!


joy,
katey

Katie said...

Very profound!

CraBBy GaBBy said...

Your Blogging is so elequent..i love reading your posts..
Heidi


"Do not let what you cannot do
keep you from doing what you can do."

John Wooden